MOVIE REVIEWS & QUICK Q’s
VIDEO GAME REVIEWS
A LIL BIT PODCASTS
YOUTH CULTURE WINDOW
ASK THE SOURCE
SPEAKERS & WORKSHOPS
Helping Parents Build Relationships and Teach Biblical Values
WEEKLY PARENTING HELP
Three Ways I’ve Adapted to Survive Parenting
Effective parenting requires a hefty learning curve. Today’s parents must observe and adapt to survive. The more I parent, the more I learn lessons the hard way.
The silver lining in this cloud of imperfection is this:
I’m gaining more insight each day
. In fact, I’ll probably be about halfway there by the time my youngest leaves for college. (I’ll be almost ready for this parenting thing by the time my grandkids arrive!)
This past year has provided plenty of these life-lessons, allowing my wife and I the opportunity to test-drive three parenting practices truly helping us better connect with our daughter.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE
JONATHAN'S BLOG: Andy Stanley on Parenting Middle Schoolers
I love Andy Stanley, and since my passion is to provide parents with good parenting tools...
this video is a gold mine!
The video is an interview with Andy Stanley about parenting middle schoolers-- a great free piece to show as a parent training tool.
I love his answers on so many of these topics. Sound familiar?
Don't have THE TALK... begin a conversation (more than just the talk).
Don't let your kids keep their phones in their rooms at night. (Keeping social media safe)
Start with more strict rules with the goal of no rules their senior year of high school.
Don't freak out.
Delay punishment, giving yourself time to think.
So much good parenting advice in this video!
Here's the video- a great tool to show to parents and then discuss with the questions I've provided below:
(LLMSW Andy Interview from North Point Web on Vimeo.)
1. What is one thing Andy said that really resonated with you?
2. What is your current guideline/rule in your house for kids and their phones at night? How's that working?
3. How can you apply his principle of starting strict, and setting the goal of no rules their senior year?
4. Share either a time where you either "freaked out" or could have "freaked out" but didn't.
5. What advice can you use from Andy to keep from freaking out when your kids drop a bomb on you?
6. What is one piece of advice Andy gave that you can apply right now?
7. What is going to be difficult about applying this?
8. What is something someone else in this group said today that was helpful?img class="alignright size-full wp-image-8120" src="http://www.JonathanMcKeeWrites.com/wp-content/uploads/Should-I-Smash-My-Kids-Phone.jpg" alt="Should-I-Smash-My-Kids-Phone" width="200" height="251" />
FOR MORE FUN DISCUSSIONS ON THIS TOPIC, INCLUDING DISCUSSION QUESTIONS, CHECK OUT JONATHAN AND DOUG'S FUN PARENTING WORKBOOK,
Should I Just Smash My Kid's Phone?
I WANT TO READ MORE
OFFSITE ARTICLES JONATHAN HAS READ THIS WEEK:
10 "Old Person" Brands Getting a Millennial Makeover
Posted on July 7/6/2015, 2015 at 02:45 PM
Andy Stanley Video on Middle School Parenting
Posted on June 6/23/2015, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Teens twice as likely to ride in car with high driver than drunk driver
Posted on June 6/19/2015, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Divorce may increase psychosomatic symptoms in teens
Posted on June 6/19/2015, 2015 at 01:04 PM
adolescent marijuana use and its impact on the developing brain
Posted on June 6/19/2015, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Underage drinking down
Posted on June 6/19/2015, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Common Signs That Your Child is Using Drugs or Alcohol
Posted on June 6/11/2015, 2015 at 12:22 PM
CLICK HERE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Season 3, Episode 3, Walk with Me
When I was a kid one of my favorite movies was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hitler went on a quest for more power, even to the point of seeking “divine power.” Of course, he and his Nazi followers followed
2015’s Summer Blockbusters (PART 2)
A Sneak Peak at the Movies That Will Target Teen Audiences
David R. Smith
More good guys. Lots of bad guys.
Even some really naked guys.
Yep, 2015’s summer flicks still have a lot in store for young viewers. Here’s a user-friendly guide that will give you a heads up on what’s coming to a theater near you…
and your family
: In case you missed
Part 1 of this...
CLICK HERE FOR MORE
© 1999-2014 The Source for Youth Ministries